Located in the historic market town of Howden in Yorkshire, ‘That Tea Room’ is a family-run tea shop at the heart of the neighbourhood.
Its proud new owners, Sam Barker and Jo Hunter, are local ladies who serve up a selection of wonderful homemade cakes, scones, hearty food and a choice of 18 loose leaf teas from around the world.
Sam and Jo who both live in East Riding had been working at That Tea Room for two years alongside eight colleagues when the owner decided to sell up and move on. With a love for the tea room now formed and the prospect of unemployment for all the staff, the pair decided to act.
Going from working in the tea room to owning it was a huge leap, Jo said: “We’ve both turned 40 and if we didn’t do it now, we never would.
In addition to the tea room, the business provides outside catering for parties, wedding and events. Since the investment their catering services have been in high demand and they have been booked up every weekend. However, the heart of ‘That Tea Room’ truly is its dedicated team, its traditional Georgian building with quirky tea pots lining the ceiling, and the regular customers, who come in week, in week out and are described as ‘family’. This really is the cup that cheers. See the history below.
Announcement Date: November 6, 1929
Catastrophe struck Howden Minster in 1929, when arsonists forced their way into the tower and started a major fire that destroyed the woodwork in the tower, sanctuary and choir stalls. After the fire, the building was restored as if the building actually stopped under the tower. In the cardinal’s day, the choir stalls would have been east of the screen, not coming back west into the nave and the floor would have been level rather than raised. There would have been a clear walkway from the north door to the south door under the lantern tower. The famous Yorkshire wood carver, Mousy Thompson of Kilburn, made the fine choir stalls and much of the other minster furnishings, as seen on Look North. Children love to hunt for the 30+ Thompson mice hidden around the Minster. Archbishop William Temple came to rededicate the restored minster in 1932.
MRS TASKER’S TEA ROOM
Announcement Date: November 6, 1950
This was earlier the premises of William Draycott, a baker. Later it was run by a Miss Draycott.
Memories: Some people remember it as Mrs Tasker’s. She sold pies and it was rumoured it was horsemeat in them [I think this was a joke!]. She also sold buns. She later had a cafe.
The premises fell into disrepair, as can be seen above and were restored by Mr Ian Mason, as can be seen in the picture below. It is now a delicatessen.
AUCTIONEER & VALUER
Announcement Date: November 6, 1982
Announcement Date: November 6, 1983
Ian Mason restored the building, and an Artist Studio opened upstairs
IDA MAY’S BRIDAL & DRESS SHOP
Announcement Date: November 6, 1985
FLOURISH & PROSPER
Announcement Date: November 6, 1990
THAT TEA ROOM
Announcement Date: January 1, 2015